Festival of Camellias at Massee Lane Gardens
Festival of Camellias at Massee Lane Gardens
Reservations for tours guided by a professional horticulturist and deluxe guided tours with boxed lunches are still being accepted through the remainder of the camellia blooming season.
2019-2020 Camellia Blooming Season and Festival of Camellias at Massee Lane Gardens: The Journey of the Camellia from Asia to America
Massee Lane Gardens celebrates the 2020 Festival of Camellias with an educational series on the journey of the camellia from Asia to America. Activities are scheduled for the entire month of February, with a free opening day extravaganza on Saturday February 1, 2020. Activities for opening day include self-guided tours, nature scavenger hunts with prizes and art activities for children, an ikebana exhibition, a food truck with snacks and lunch, and appearances by the Georgia Camellia Queen and Court.
February is the peak of the camellia blooming season, when the most camellia varieties are blooming at one time. Visitors can see thousands of heirloom, modern, and species camellia plants blooming throughout nine acres of specialty gardens. An education exhibition will trace the migration of camellia plants from their native habitats in China and Japan to Europe and India, and on to America, Australia and New Zealand. A special valentine day luncheon will include an elegant European meal, a professional romantic photography shoot with one free digital image, and a potted ‘Valentine Day’ camellia to take home and plant for a living memorial of the day.
Little Buds Day will be a free fun day for children. Piccadilly Puppets will give a live puppet show about the discovery of tea. Art activities, a bounce slide ship, nutritious snacks, and appearances by the Georgia Camellia Queen and Court.
Educational programs and events will be offered each Wednesday and Saturday on the health benefits of tea; the story of the ‘Rena Campbell’ and ‘Betty Sheffield’ camellias and the friendship of the women the camellias were named for; the story of how a dozen plants of the species Camellia reticulata were imported into California from China; new camellia hybrids currently under development; and a hands-on workshop with tips for caring for camellias in the home garden landscape, with an onsite tool sharpening service to prepare your clippers for the season. A camellia show hosted by the Middle Georgia Camellia Society will showcase over a thousand camellia blooms, showing the diversity of sizes, shapes and colors that make camellias such a prized addition to any garden.
Professionally guided tours and box lunches are available throughout the blooming season for groups of ten or more with advanced reservations. Live camellia plants will be on sale through April 2020. Visit www.americancamellias.com/news-events and click Festival of Camellias to view and print a full schedule, the box lunch menu, reservation details, and special event costs. Call (877) 422-6355 toll free to make reservations for Garden Tours, Luncheons and Art Classes. All major credit cards accepted.
Massee Lane Gardens is located seven miles south of Fort Valley, Georgia, off Georgia Highway 49, at 100 Massee Lane, Fort Valley, Georgia 31030. Visit www.americancamellias.com/massee-lane-gardens/visiting-the-gardens/massee-lane-hours-admission-and-directions. Visit our website for driving directions. For questions, more information, and reservations, call (478) 967-2358 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call now for Box Lunch and Guided Tour Reservations!
Professionally guided tours can be scheduled for groups of ten or more Tuesday through Friday in October 2019 - January 2020, and Monday through Friday in February.
Tours are $5 per person, and feature admission to the Massee Lane Gardens; a video presentation on the history of Massee Lane Gardens, the American Camellia Society, and camellia species and cultivars; a short informative speech by a Horticultural Expert; and a professionally guided tour of Massee Lane Gardens. Deluxe boxed luncheon tours are also available for groups of ten or more with reservations two weeks in advance for $15.
Don’t delay in making your advanced, pre-paid reservations today. Tours and lunches are available on a first come, first served basis.
- Lunches and guided tours are available October 2019 through April 2020.
- Click here to download and print the menu and box lunch order form. Be sure to call (877) 422-6355 to make or confirm reservations for your group's preferred date as well as note the scheduled date on the lunch order form. Please return the form by attacheing it to an email addressed to email@example.com or faxing it to (478) 967-2083.
- Boxed lunches will be served between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. in the Annabelle Lundy Fetterman Gallery and Museum among breathtaking Boehm porcelain masterpieces.Tours can be scheduled either before or after the meal. Make your reservations early for the best scheduling options.
- Be sure to save time to visit our newly renovated gift shop!
Massee Lane Gardens Hours and Admission
- Open Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. and Sundays from 1:00 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. (And Mondays in February)
- Admission is $5 for adults, $4 for seniors, and free for children under 12 and American Camellia Society members.
- Flint Energies Co-Op Connection members are eligible for a dollar off the regular admission fee (please show membership card at Gift Shop to receive the discount.) (Admission discounts are not available for guided tours.)
- Massee Lane Gardens is located at 100 Massee Lane, Ft. Valley, Georgia. Click here for driving instructions and information on the gardens.
- Call toll free at (877) 422-6355 to schedule a guided tour or to reserve a boxed luncheon. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.